September 5, 2008

Never Bored with Board Games


Maybe it's because I grew up in rural Iowa where the electricity went out every time we had a storm and we needed something to do....or maybe it's because I am ultra competitive.... or maybe it's because I like the mental stimulation....but regardless of the reason-- I LOVE board games! And thank goodness that everywhere I've lived, I've found friends that love them too! And right now, I'm missing my friends in Athens and all the nights we played Phase 10 (at which Heather cheats), Yahtzee, Compatibility, Catch Phrase, and the list goes on. And the many days Scott and I would sit at my house playing Sequence and Husker-Du (at which he thinks I cheat).

There's just something about games that brings a group of people together. Of course I love dinner and a movie...but you always feel rushed to get out of the restaurant and then ssshussed at the movie. I would rather have people over for dinner where we can really hang and enjoy each others company and then play games where we can be loud and crazy...and talk to each other.

And thinking of games brings back great memories of Grams. I can't count the number of times we played Husker -Du (but the condition of the box would give you a hint), Skunk, 500, Candyland, and of course the many different ways she taught us to play Solitaire (which I still play everytime I sit down and see a deck of cards nearby). It also makes me think of all the times Dad and I would play a game of Connect 4 to see who was going outside to do chores in the snow! Or the times we played Rummy King (at which my uncle Jim and Dad cheat) on snowmobile trips and at family get togethers.

Some might say it's because there is nothing else to do it Iowa, but I'm really thankful that I was brought up playing games. It seems like whenever you bring them out, people always have a good time. And a family that plays together stays together!

2 comments:

Sue said...

You should have mentioned Husker-Du at HenFest. I could have pulled my dilapidated box out of the closet and whooped your a**, without cheating!

Anonymous said...

I don't cheat. I think I get a little confused sometimes.:)

heather