February 19, 2009

It's Iowa and We Don't Grow Potatoes


When you grow up in Iowa, you get really used to meeting people at national conferences and having them say "oh yah, Iowa, where they grow potatoes." And always you think, "no that's Idaho, get your geography right." It wasn't too complicated, all we had in Iowa was corn, beans, pigs and cows. But these days Iowa agriculture is becoming pretty diverse and lots of niche markets have surfaced. But the one thing that blows my mind is how many wind turbines I can see when I leave our farm. We harvest the wind! They've been doing it forever in California and the west; but who would have thought Iowa? I know they're doing good for this whole 'go green' movement; but my jury is still out whether I like the way they fill up the north central Iowa countryside. I guess I have way too much of my father in me...image has a lot of influence on decisions I make and things I accept. I'm sure I'll just need to get used to the turbines because they are here to stay. Wonder what will be next that I'll just need to get used to.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Well if you're not from Idaho you must be from Ohio. People really get those states confused! Uh, hello, middle school geography teacher, you really dropped the ball when it came to teaching others about the great ol' US of A.

Anonymous said...

I get the Ohio thing all the time too. And to top it off, people say things like, "Oh, you must be a Buckeye fan then." No Way! What an insult! Go Hawkeyes! Heck, I like the Cyclowns more than I like the Buckeyes.

Jason
(of the Sue and Jason variety)