June 15, 2008

My Dad...My Hero



Being Father's Day, I guess it would be quite appropriate to write something about Dad. And I know this won't be long because I already have tears in my eyes just thinking about how much my parents mean to me. I've always been my daddy's little helper as far back as I can remember. I even remember one time getting up and trying to get out to the barn before he did so that he thought I slept out there watching after a cow and calf (he's pretty smart though and knew that I was trying to pull a fast one). Even at 35, there's really no place I'd rather be than sitting next to him in a tractor, riding through the cows with him, or just doing his little dirty work. I know he's not perfect. And there are definitely times when I get mad at him. But I thank God every day for giving me the dad he did. I'm very proud to be his daughter and his little farm girl.

When I left for college in 1990, we wrote this poem on an index card. I put it on my college bulletin board and still have it today; it's one of my most prized possessions.
Sometimes I'm mean, Sometimes I'm rough, But you know I love you and I hope that's enough, So if you are ever down and blue, Just remember how proud I am of you. -Your dad and proud of it!


1 comment:

Sue said...

Hold on, let me get a kleenex. Okay, I'm better now. You are so lucky to have your Daddy and that poem. Of that, I am envious.