October 6, 2008

In the Eye of the Beholder


Everyone that knows me knows the I LOVE the midwest! I've been to 49 states (lived in 3) and 3 other countries...but no matter where I go, I don't think there is anywhere as beautiful as home. Now there have been some amazingly beautiful places...don't get me wrong...but as a whole, nothing can beat the midwest. When I lived in Michigan and Georgia, it was so cool to live amongst so many trees...but often times I felt clostrophobic because I couldn't see what was around the bend! I would get off an airplane in Iowa and just physically feel the breath release from my lungs as I relaxed and said "oh man, I can see for miles!" And this time of year....that means being able to see the sun set as it casts it's last shadow on the bean fields and combines. It's just absolutely gorgeous!

The last few weeks have brought rapid change in the crops and the trees here. Sometimes I am just in awe of the beauty this time of year. And knowing that winter is just around the corner, it makes me wonder if God created the splendor of fall just to give us something to hold us over through the winter until spring comes.

No comments: