November 16, 2008

The Man of the House


There is something I've always wanted but never really thought it was the right time. Well, this week I just took the plunge....and got a dog. So meet Aberdeen. He's already 16 weeks and came from an Angus breeder not far from home (Bill Schermer). I delivered some cattle for Dad on Monday and there he was just stealing my heart. I battled the decision all week and then finally told myself to just try it. So I picked him up early Friday morning. We've been hanging out all weekend and he's been doing just great. He even just stood there while I gave him a bath after our field trip to the farm today.

The biggest battle in the decision process...this is an every day commitment, are you willing to make that sacrifice? Ultimately, I said it was time. Yes there will definitely be times when I'm going to need to give up a little something in order to meet his needs...but that's part of getting older. I've been on my own for several years and could do anything, anytime...and I did. Moving home somewhat involved some thinking that I've lived for whatever I wanted the past several years and now it was time to put my family first. So maybe Aberdeen is somewhat of an extension of that. Sometimes it's just a little too easy to fall into the trap of having the world revolve around yourself.

3 comments:

Sue said...

That is, seriously, the cutest dog I've ever seen! I can't wait to meet him in person. Does he have a brother or sister that needs a home?

Sue said...

He's just so cute. It looks like he has a smile on his face!

Sue said...

Yup, still the cutest dog I've ever seen!