November 13, 2008

Tag...You're It

So here's another post compliments to the prodding of SueBoo. (which I'm still working on finishing up the Pay It Forward deal she got me into) But this one is a little easier. The instructions are to post the fourth picture in the fourth folder of your pictures file; tell us about the picture; and tag a friend or two. So I'm just going to post it and consider anyone else that reads this 'tagged'.

So here's the 4th picture from the 4th folder in my "My Pictures" folder....

It's a group of random people...some that I met for the first time that night...who gathered at my house to go Christmas Caroling in the neighborhood. We had a blast...and had a great time putting smiles on people faces.

It's pretty ironic that this photo is the 4th of the 4th because where I am today connects very much to where I was on that day several years ago. I had recently moved to Athens and was slowing figuring out where the single 30 somethings fit into a college town. Lucky for me I had a great church which included a small group of girls for weekly bible study. And even though we loved hanging out together, we knew there were others just like us trying to find their place in this college town. So being the event planner that I am...I started conversations about fun things we could do that would bring people together and build relationships. So the first thing we did...host a fall social that included pumpkin carving! And since people had fun with that and figured out it was fun to be a kid again....I hosted Christmas Caroling...complete with plates of cookies for every house we visited. It was a blast and the following year we had about 20 people go out caroling.

So here I am a few years later, similar situation, different town. But this time instead of a college town, it's my hometown, a small rural town...a place that doesn't get new people to town very often. At first glance it seems that everyone within 10 years of my age is married with children. So I'm wrestling with trying to figure out how and where to get plugged in. Ironically, just this past week, I was thinking back to Athens and wondering if maybe I could host something to break the ice and help me get to know people. I was actually thinking....'what about hosting a cookie exchange or a Christmas caroling'. I guess this photo is maybe a sign that I should.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Cool picture! Sorry I get you into so many blogging jams!! But this one was fun and easy!