August 11, 2008

A Tribute to The A-town Crowd


When I went to Athens six years ago, one of my main objectives was to 'not be so busy making a living that I forgot to make a life'. Well, part of that constituted having friends. I know that sounds crazy...but in my first eight years of the working world, my life was so full of work that I didn't really have many people that lived in the same town and were called friends. So this was a major deal. I didn't really know where they were going to come from, but I was going to have friends. In school and college it was always easy because you were surrounded by people that had the same interests as you. Living in a college town when you are 30 is a bit different. I still laugh that one of my students called me after a few months in Athens. He asked how I was coming on my friend goal and if I had made any friends yet. I said "yes." And he quickly responded, "name them." Then he proceeded to clarify if they were really friends...the kind you could call right this minute and talk to, ask to go to a movie, etc. or were they simply people more like 'acquaintances'. I guess his challenge inspired me because over the last six years, I've been blessed to have some great friends.

Moving this past week was really hard because I left behind several people that I really care about and who have made such an impression on my life. I know that we'll keep in touch for a bit but that over time the ties will fade, they always do. But I also know that there will always be a special place in my heart for this group of people because they have truly impacted me and helped me to grow into who I am. I've moved a lot and it's never been this hard; I guess that's when you know you really have Friends.

No comments: