May 21, 2008

Oh-la-la...Rhubarb Pie

The other day when I went in to see my grandma at the nursing home, she mentioned that she hadn't eaten lunch yet and asked if I would eat with her. Of course I would, who doesn't look forward to hospital food! Needless to say, it left plenty to be desired. So we started talking about the good ole days and all the good food she used to cook. I always loved it when we were working in the fields by her house, because that meant great food...especially rolls and dessert. As we talked, we got stuck on one of my absolute favorites...rhubarb. I know it doesn't taste good until you combine it will all that sugar...but still it is one of my favorites! Grandma used to make rhubarb pie, rhubarb bars, rhubarb sauce, rhubarb cake, rhubarb jam...the list goes on. And lots of times it was coupled with strawberries from the garden...oh man how I love strawberry-rhubarb jam!! Lucky for me when I got home from the nursing home...Mom was making a rhubarb pie. How ironic. But oh how good that was with some vanilla bean ice cream.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm! Rhubarb pie. Sounds yummy. Hope you had a good time on your Hen Fest. Our GA trip was good. Hard to believe our little Lydia graduated. You have a good weekend. Hope your house sells soon. Love from Iowa. Suzy

Sue said...

Tell Shorty to send me the recipe. I think my rhubarb is just about ready!