May 13, 2008

Running for a Reason


As I get ready to defend my doctoral dissertation tomorrow, I got to thinking (aka procrastinating) about what all has happened over the last year. One specific thing that came into my mind was that a year ago this month, I signed up for my second Team in Training event....the Dublin Ireland Marathon. And the journey began to once again raise over $5K for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society....and to prepare my body to once again run 26.2 miles. The time between registration and the October event seemed to fly by with training, raising money, and planning my trip to Ireland...the one country in the world that I really wanted to visit. Once again the TNT experience was amazing and I continually met people who had loved ones affected by blood cancer. Of all the things I've done in my life, I'd have to say my two TNT events rank near the top of the most rewarding experiences. My running shoes are calling my name to get signed up for another marathon this fall. Not sure that I'll do it through TNT since I'll be moving to Iowa; but I'm sure whatever event I pick there will be people there running for a reason.....to cure cancers.

No comments: