May 6, 2008

A Sign of the Times


Last week I had this big knot in my stomach as I walked home from work. I knew that as I approached my house, the yard was going to be newly adorned with a "For Sale" sign. Little did I know how much emotion that was going to stir throughout my little soul. When I moved to Athens nearly six years ago, I said "it's just for five years, find some balance between life and work, finish that degree you've started, and move back to Iowa." Well, six years later I'm finishing up that degree and I've really found a lot of balance between life and work. But that balance is a result of a great life with lots of good friends and experiences. So while I'm really excited about moving back to Iowa, I'm really torn in leaving my life and friends here. But I've come to realize that I love my life in Athens, in lue of the life I really want....one where I'm close to my family. And I know that I have to sacrifice something good to have something even better. But over these last six years, I've really had the opportunity to build a life that makes me happy and happy with who I am. Now I just need to take those lessons with me and implement them into my life in Iowa!

1 comment:

Sue said...

You sound a little stressed, what with the house going up for sale and all that PhD dissertation stuff. Why not come up to the northwoods of Wisconsin for a little R & R. It'll do ya good!