July 7, 2008

Independence Day

So it's back to work after a three day weekend and the standard question from everyone has been "so what did you do for the 4th?". Well like 90% of the people in the United States...I saw fireworks! And I even got to take in a small town parade complete with every single person running for any elected office in the county...and a clown cleaning up the horse road apples! I just love rural America and I was so excited that I got to spend the better part of a day being in it. It rained on the afternoon of the 4th...and with the Georgia heat, that just created an outdoor sauna- so I didn't really feel like going to a park with a thousand other people to watch the fireworks. Instead I saw fireworks at the racetrack. The track had a two night late model show that brought in cars from all over the southeast. It was $5000 to win the 50 lap feature and it was an awesome race right to the checkered flag. It was nearly a photo finish and the guy in second blew his motor right after he passed the flagman...so I'd say he was definitely giving it all that he had. The cars that would have been 3 and 4 got tangled up in the last lap so they didn't finish...which might explain the fight that started in the pits right after the race! It was a great night for racing!

While I had a great time this 4th of July weekend...I'd still have to say that my favorite 4th was when I was in Washington DC working a leadership program for the FFA. The day was full of people on the lawn between the capitol and the Washington monument having picnics, playing volleyball and frisbee, listening to military bands and simply just hanging out. And the fireworks...well words can't explain how amazing it was to see a fireworks display with the Washington monument in the foreground. The show was no less than 45 minutes of continual bursts of color. Simply amazing!

1 comment:

Sue said...

I would have to imagine that seeing 4th of July fireworks at our nation's capitol would be about the neatest thing ever!