July 10, 2008

You've Got Mail

The usual sort on the way in with the mail includes pitching the political propaganda, advertisements, and computer generated postcards...but wait, today I got a VERY important computer generated postcard. It said "Congratulations! All of your hard work and determination is about to pay off!" Then it went on and provided the link for information about UGA's Summer 2008 Commencement. They are going to let me graduate! I even get to walk across the stage in the coliseum while they read off my name and dissertation title. And the best part....my mom and aunt Suzy will be in the audience watching!

I've always been a fan of getting mail and surprises like today are why. It's always just such a surprise to see what the mailman left.....in addition to the junk mail. Of course my favorites have always been cards & letters and magazines. The internet has really ruined a lot of that because now people (including me) take the shortcut and send e-cards and e-mails....even most of my bills arrive electronically. Remember when we were in grade school and had pen pals that just lived in the next town over? Or the people you met at camp and other 4-H events that you'd write all year long? And what about the chain letters that made everyone think they would one day get a lot of money back through the mail? I'm guessing the mailman knows a whole lot about people simply by sorting and delivering their mail.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Holy Cow! You've posted like 4 times in a week. What's with this? See, it's fun, admit it! You love it! I'm your muse.

P.S. Congratulations on your mail!!

Odland Manor said...

CONGRATSSSSSS on the mail. Now you probably look forward to getting the mail.

Aunt Suzy said...

Hey there! You bet your mom and I will be there in the seats yelling Hurray for you as you cross the stage. Both grandmas will be there in spirit, too. See you Wed. Great to see you this last week. Love ya. Aunt Suzy