July 1, 2008

Gardener, Cook, Seamstress.....Grandma


Of all the hard things in life, I think losing someone you love is probably my hardest. And last week this was brought to light once again as Grandma A. took her final breath on earth. I know very well that it was a blessing, she is in a better place, and she has no pain. But that doesn't make it any easier. And I guess her passing was compounded by the fact that she was my last living grandparent. Lucky for me, I took advantage of seeing her every time I've been home over the last couple of years. I have to admit that sometimes (well most of the time) I dreaded going to the nursing home to see her because it just made me so sad to see her there....a dedicated farm wife cooped up without a garden, kitchen or sewing machine. In fact most of the time I left the building with tears rolling down my face just praying that God would take her home. But all the same, I'm so glad I went to see her all those times, because now those conversations we had about her growing up, meeting grandpa, and raising a family are something I can hold onto.

Growing up with my grandparents close by is something I've really grown to appreciate over the last several years. My grandparents were a part of my every day life....and every day they still reside in my memories. Whether is was playing a board game with my Grams, riding in the combine with my Grandpa A., or picking strawberries with my Grandma A...they were there. I've been so blessed to have grandparents as part of my life....and now they are all together again watching over me. I hope I'm making them proud.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a good granddaughter! They are so very proud of you.